Before an archer actually starts shooting there are a number of safety precautions they should take, including:
- Checking equipment for damage
- Keep clothing and jewellery out of the string’s way
- Make sure the range is clear
It’s a good idea to check bow strings for signs of fraying and looking for cracks or warped wood in the limbs or riser of your bow. On arrows, feel the fletches to make sure they are attached and, using screw-in points, test the points to make sure they are screwed in tightly. Replace any plastic nocks that have cracks.
Obviously, there are also a number of safety rules that must be followed when the archer is actually shooting, including:
- Pointing arrows only towards the target when they are nocked on the string
- Shooting at the same time and in the same direction as the other archers
- Waiting until everyone is finished before going to the target
If any fellow archers are scoring during practice, or if you are shooting in a competition, remember to wait until everyone is done scoring before touching the target and pulling your arrows.
The safety doesn’t stop after the arrows have been shot. There are a few safety tips for archers to remember while they are retrieving their arrows, including:
- Approaching the target slowly
- Ask permission before pulling someone else’s arrow
- Brace yourself with a hand on the target near where the arrow hit
- Check over your shoulder to see if the coast is clear
- Pull the arrow straight out to avoid bending it by accident
If you think you may have missed the target, be careful not to kick or step on your arrows as you walk down to your target. If you need to search for an arrow behind the target, make sure the other archers know where you are so they can keep everyone from shooting until you are safely back behind the shooting line. If the arrow is embedded in the wood of the target stand, there is a risk of bending or damaging the arrow during removal, so be sure to ask for help.
Archery is such a fun sport and when everyone follows the rules and puts safety first, it makes for an even greater outing. You’ll even see some great health benefits when you take part in the sport regularly.
Whether you’re an experienced archer or just want to try it out for fun, Triggers and Bows’ top of the line archery range is the place for you. Experience the thrill of our archery range firsthand. Book your lane today by emailing us at [email protected] or calling us at 519-449-1001.